Spicy Beef Empanadas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 handful pitted green olives, finely chopped (traditional but optional)
- 1/4 cup raisins (traditional but optional)
- 1-2 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped (traditional but optional)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (not traditional but I like them spicy)
- 1 tbsp smoked or sweet paprika
- ½ tsp dry oregano
- 1 flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 package frozen empanada dough/discos (sold frozen– Goya is a good brand)* or click here for empanada dough recipe.
- 1 egg, beaten with one tbsp water
Sauté the onion garlic and red bell pepper in olive oil over medium heat until just soft and fragrant. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain excess fat.
Add all remaining ingredients except the eggs and raisins and cook until everything is heated through and excess moisture has evaporated. The filling should be a little dry and stiff; filling that is too wet will leave you with soggy empanadas. Add in the eggs and raisins last (optional), turn off heat. Cool filling.
19121 Prairie Ave
Hawthorne, CA 90250(310) 676-5444