- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound sweet or hot pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups (1/2-inch cubes) cornbread (about 3/4 pound)
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking it up as you go, until browned and cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a large bowl and set aside.
Add celery, onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until translucent. Add sage and thyme and cook about 1 minute more. Stir in broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Add cornbread to bowl with sausage. Pour broth mixture over the top and mix until well combined. Transfer to a (9-inch) casserole dish and bake until hot throughout, 25 to 30 minutes. If you would like to make stuffed bell peppers using this stuffing, you can find the stuffed bell pepper recipe here.